Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Spaghetti Bake

T and I have both been battling this nasty flu that is going around Grand Rapids and since he is down for the count on the couch, I decided to make use of the empty kitchen. With school back in full swing, and work keeping me busy, I wanted to find a recipe that would be inexpensive to make, but would make enough that there would be leftovers. Here's a little secret, T is not the greatest in the kitchen. So making something that he can reheat when I have to work late was key. Otherwise I get texts saying, 'Yeah, I just ordered a pizza/ran through McDonalds/made some Mac and Cheese'. That's not dinner.

I found this recipe on a blog at Kids in the Sink.com (http://kidsinthesink.com/2012/03/19/baked-spaghetti/#comment-805)

Here is what you will need (altered a little from the recipe I found because I chose to make a bit bigger of a batch):

Ingredients:
*1½ cups of the sauce of your choosing (Heather and Melissa include a recipe to make your own sauce. I was not that ambitious and decided to go with a jar)
*2½ cups of cheese (I chose to do 1½ cups Mozzarella and 1 cup of a cheddar/monterrey jack mix)
*1 Package of spaghetti (I chose a 16oz package to ensure plenty of leftovers)



Directions:
1) Pre-Heat your oven to 350˚
2) Cook noodles as directed on the package
3) Drain and mix with sauce and mozzarella
4) Spread into a 9x13 Pan and top with remaining cheese

5) Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly
 [You can also choose to top with additional cheese before serving if you are a cheese lover like T and I are.]

 This was probably one of the easiest dinners I have ever made. T devoured it like he hasn't eaten in days and I can't say that I was too shy about it either. Next time I probably will add a bit more sauce. We both like ours a little more saucy that it turned out. But all in all I will say hands down that was one of the BEST meals I have made off of Pinterest.

Prep Time, I would say, was only about 10-15 minutes. The longest part was waiting for the water to boil. Cook Time is about 20-25 minutes depending on how done you want it and how your oven works. I definitely say this dish was a big success!

2 comments: